Saturday, August 2, 2008

Family Sagas: as satisfying as bowl of oatbran

There is still some time this summer to read even though school starts in 16 days. I know this because my grandson Anthony is starting Kindergarten this year. My daughter and I brought him to Walmart today to fill his supply list. One hundred dollars later we had everything but 6 composition books ( the cheap black marbled kind that I like.) Walmart had them on sale for .50 apiece today and they had sold out. I have to say Walmart has it together in the school supply department. This nice sales lady Yvonne helped us locate everything so we were in and out like a flash.

This gave me time to settle in with my latest summer read , American Cookery by Laura Kalpakian. This novel was thrust into my hands by a colleague with a "read this it's good"
recommendation . Anyway, after I squinted through the first 3 chapters( the font size is about a 6) I got out the trusty magnifier I use for paint-by-numbers. This is the only bad thing about this book. I love family sagas anyway, but this one is exceptionally well crafted and extremely satisfying .I 'm taking a break while my nonfat blueberry flax muffins are baking. Reading the book with it's historically accurate old timey recipes made me hungry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your nonfat blueberry flax muffins were so delicious. thanks for sharing.